PRESS RELEASE - NRA and ECO BANK JUDGEMENT
1. ANTI - CORRUPTION COMMISSION CATHEDRAL HOUSE 3 GLOUCESTER STREET FREETOWN SIERRA LEONE, WEST AFRICA TEL: 232 - 22 221468 FAX: 232 - 22 221900 Date: 10 th April 2014 PRESS RELEASE HIGH COURT HANDS DOWN CUSTODIAL SENTENCES ON NRA/ECO BANK OFFICIAL S FOR CORRUPTION OFFENCES The High Court of Sierra Leone , presided over by the HONORABLE MR. JUSTICE M.A. PAUL, on 10 th April 2014, pronounced sentence in the matter of the STATE VS SOLOMON HINDOLO KATTA and OTHERS ; having found them guilty in a judgment delivered on 3 rd April 2014. In a landmark decision, THE HONORABLE JUSTICE PAUL imposed custodial sentences on all the convicts, in addition to monetary fines, totaling Two Billion, Five Hundred and Fifty M illions (2, 550, 000, 000 ). All five were convicted for offences including Conspiracy to Commit a Corruption Offence, Misappropriation of Public Revenue, Possession of Unexplained Wealth and Failure to Fully Declare Asset s to the Commission , all contrary to the Anti - Corruption Act 2008. The first accused Solomon Hindolo Katta was sentenced to six years imprisonment and to pay Two Billion Two H undred Million Leones ( 2. 200, 000, 000) ; Idrissa Fornah (alias O r kala ) was sentenced to six years imprisonment and T wo Hundred Million Leones (200,000, 000); Momoh Turay was sentenced to three years imprisonment and to pay Forty Million Leones (40,000, 000); Emmanuel Sesay was sentenced to three years imprisonment and to p ay Forty Million Leones (40,000, 000); and Mrs. Catherine Katta was sentenced to three years imprisonment and to pay Seventy M illion Leones (70,000, 000). It is worth noting that since the enactment of the Anti - Corruption Act of 2008, this is t he first time the Commission has secured convictions for the offences of Failure to Fully Declare Assets to ACC and Possession of Unexplained Wealth . The matter was prosecuted by Mr. Ady Macauley , Esq. of the Commission . M eanwhile, the other trial involving NRA/Ecobank workers, Abraham Lavally and Others is still ongoing in the High Court. .......................................... KOL ONEH SANKOH (Ms) DEPUTY DIRECTOR, PUBLIC EDCUCATION AND OUTREACH
- 5252 Total Views
- 3990 Website Views
- 1262 Embeded Views
- Social Shares
- 0 Likes
- 0 Dislikes
- 0 Comments
- 0 Facebook
- 0 Twitter
- 0 Google+
- 80 220.127.116.11
- 10 anticorruption.gov.sl
- 109 www.anticorruption.gov.sl
- 2 www.pnb.gov.sl
- 24 www.anticorruption.gov.sl:8069
- 19 anticorruption.gov.sl:8069
- 17 18.104.22.168:8069
- 9 webdisk.anticorruption.gov.sl
- 4 google.com'
- 1 www.google.com
IACAlumnus_Jul_2018_online18075 Views .
Commissioner's Profile14570 Views .
ANNUAL REPORT FOR 2016 (2017) FINAL11975 Views .
NACS ACTION PLAN11844 Views .
ACC ANNUAL REPORT FOR 201710749 Views .
ANNUAL REPORT FOR 201410735 Views .
National Anti-Corruption Strategy 2019-202310716 Views .
-Draft-SALWACO-SERVICE-CHARTER10346 Views .
ACC Act 200810307 Views .
Reports Curbing Salary Double Dipping in MDAs10210 Views .
NACS NATIONAL ANTI-CORRUPTION STRATEGY 2018-202010186 Views .
CURRENT CASES IN COURT9770 Views .
CURRENT ACC CONVICTIONS FROM 2000 TO 20189612 Views .
ELECTRICITY service_delivery_charter_EDSA9457 Views .
Police Service-Delivery-Charter-2015-final-29400 Views .
2019 Comms Strategy_FINAL8763 Views .
Press Release - ACC Head Office8626 Views .
APPEAL CASES8449 Views .